Sunday 21 June 2015

British Chess Championships, July 25 - August 8

Just a reminder to anyone thinking of joining Paul, Joshua and myself at this year's British Championships at Warwick University, that the deadline for entries without incurring a late fee is looming. After July 1 it will cost you more, and knowing what a tight fisted bunch chess players generally are, that's something to be avoided if possible.

This will be the first time since 1970 (also Warwick University) that the Championships have come right to our doorstep, and if it's another 45 year's before they come so close to home then most of us had better make use of what is likely to be our last such opportunity. (Sad but true!!)

Full details of all the events are here.

This will be the third time I have played at the British (first time ever in the Championship proper, of course), and my debut was half a life time ago at Southport in 1983. This was my highly enjoyable last round game in the Major Open (which was rather strong in those days), which is as far removed from my current turgid style as it's possible to get. The win took my score to 7/11 - and I will gladly settle for that this time around, too!


When I play through a game like that I sometimes get the weirdest feeling that I used to be a rather dynamic player - but I'm sure that's just false memory syndrome at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment