Monday 29 August 2022

I Remember, I Remember* ......

 .. Except that these days, I increasingly don't. But discovering recently that Paul can recall all the games he has played on a Thursday evening at The Gauntlet, I was reminded that I too, used to be able to remember casual and quick play games that weren't recorded. And - just occasionally - I would save them for posterity. This was one such game - played at 2 minutes per player (and no increment because digital clocks hadn't yet been invented!), which is a time limit I would avoid like the plague these days. My opponent was my Mitcham club mate Bernie Kooiman, a strong 190+ player, and the game was played at The King's Arms pub in the centre of Mitcham in July 1982. Just the 40 years ago. Which is a depressing thought. But never mind, because it has brought a warm glow to my cheeks all over again.


* For those interested, this is the title of two very different poems, one by Thomas Hood ("I remember, I remember the house where I was born") and one by Philip Larkin  ("Coming up England by a different line We stopped, and, watching men with number plates Sprint down the platform to familiar gates, "Why, Coventry!" I exclaimed. "I was born here."

No comments:

Post a Comment