Thursday 1 December 2022

Reverse Ferret

No sooner do I go and praise Jude to the hills for his Leamington League win over Alan Lloyd last week, than he goes and plays an absolute stinker in the Coventry League on Tuesday night against Francis Sagyaman. If the Morra Gambit could be guaranteed to work this well every time, the Sicilian Defence would basically be busted, but I suspect that Black's play could have been improved on a move or two. Or three. As it was, Francis hit Jude with a series of sledgehammer blows which swept him off the board in no time at all.  Ouch!

Which meant we were a point down to Coventry A from a very early stage, and it stayed that way for a couple of hours until an aged, and oft unsung, hero came to the rescue of the team at the eleventh hour. Because by that time Mike had drawn against Jonathan Fowler on Board 3 after pressing for most of the game, and Phil - bravely deputising for the otherwise engaged Ben and Bernard R - had endured a tough night against Ed Goodwin on Board 4 but held on for another valuable draw.

Which meant it all came down to the top board encounter - the legendary/perennial Page-Pink match up. Having said which, this was only our 8th standard play otb encounter, and just the 7th in the red-hot cauldron of the Coventry League. I am pleased to report that by the close of play, the score between us stood at 5-0 to me, with 3 draws! Just saying. Joshua was virtually lost from the opening, as I got a massive grip on the position, but in his typically inventive way he somehow managed to break the bind by forcing the exchange of my wonderful light squared bishop for a seemingly dead knight. We both thought that the position had actually turned in his favour (it hadn't, but it was close to equal) but as Phase 2 of the game began, I was able to regain some control mainly thanks to Josh's dodgy king and my wonderfully centralised queen. We both had bad bishops, but it soon became clear his was badder than mine! I missed a two move combo that would have won on the spot, but after it came down to a pure bishop of the same colours ending, the position was just winning for me. My own bishop got trapped, but meanwhile I had hoovered up 3 pawns, and with passers on both the h and c files and my king totally dominant, Josh couldn't prevent one of my pawns queening. Phew! 2-2, and match saved.

Which, of course, is why I am on Board 1 and Jude only on Board 2. Age can still show youth a thing or two. Reverse ferret! Disregard everything I wrote in the last article! At least until the next match.

A ferret just about to go into reverse. Or possibly bite our revered Chairman. Who can tell?

And let's end with a truly beautiful and majestic hymn to the oldies. The western stars can indeed still shine bright ...... now and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment