Tuesday 28 November 2023

A Bit Slow out of the Blocks!

Its been 6 weeks since the last A team match, during which time those of guilty for causing the loss against Banbury A (ie me) have had to watch while other teams - most noticeably that nice group of people collectively referred to as Kenilworth B, have been accumulating points and challenging our lead at the top of Division 1. So last night's home encounter with Shirley B was a long overdue chance for the A team to return to the top of the table, especially as we were playing the bottom team.

After our long hibernation, I expected us to come out the blocks on the B of the Bang - like Usain Bolt on a good day.


I was disappointed. It was more like this.


And surprise, surprise, it was our superstar Jude who was slowest away and who then got blown off the board by Jonathan Dale's h pawn advance and exchange sac. For a demonstration of how to respond to this tactic I would refer Mr Shearsby to the recent game Dale-Pink, where this tactic was effortlessly - correction, I mean chaotically - refuted. But Jude was by no means alone in his suffering, as I also went totally wrong in the opening and lost a pawn, with a terrible position to boot, against Keith Ingram. Fortunately, though, Keith neglected to push a pawn to d6 which would have virtually blown me off the board, and after grabbing that very pawn a move later I hung on and eventually jumped out to win with my own passed d pawn. Though not before missing a two move forced promotion of this pawn and prolonging the game many moves more than needed.

Thankfully, the Kenilworth players in charge of the White pieces were altogether more convincing. Javi took on Dave Thomas's favourite Open Spanish, and after what I suspect was lots of theory eventually complicated the game sufficiently that Dave blundered a piece. Bruce was also in piece-winning mode against Nigel Foster, trapping a Black knight on h5. I don't know about surprise, fear or an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, but such ruthless efficiency was sadly well beyond both Jude and myself last night.


So 3-1 to us eventually, but a real let off as it could so easily have been 2-2. So for now, we are safely back at the top of Division 1, though we may only be there for 24 hours as our B team are in action tonight, and could have vaulted back to first place by the time you read this!

After such a plethora of videos I'm loth to add my usual musical contribution ......... but, what the hell?! Of course there's going to be a song. It wouldn't be a proper match report without one. So how about another stirring anthem from Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul? Music like this demands to be played! Often and loud!!


No comments:

Post a Comment