Friday 14 July 2023

Way Back When

Those of you with exceptional recall might remember that we once had a post on this website which included the "Game on the T-Shirt" (see Bobby Fischer: a Personal Pilgrimage - Part 3, The Museum, April 6, 2018). Finally, we have a sequel, with the" Game on the Photo".

I was rather shocked the other day when Paul sent me the photo which appears below. He had discovered this quite by chance while browsing through an old edition of Chess magazine from December, 2013 - well, we all find ourselves at a loose end every now and then, I suppose. Anyway, here I am, from a long time ago, in glorious technicolour.


My opponent absents himself from the board and unfortunately misses his chance to appear on the KCC website 42 years later!

This naturally got me rather intrigued about what happened in the game - I had absolutely no memory of the match of course - but you'll have guessed from the fact that I am even writing this stuff that I won. Its not an entirely sound affair (surprise, surprise) but its way more inventive and dynamic than I can manage these days. I can't imagine I've sacrificed two exchanges in a single game before or since!


I thought that my old club used to be rather strong, but with me on Board 4 there must have been a few players unavailable that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment