Tuesday 12 March 2024

They Couldn't.......Could They?

4 wins on the bounce has seen Kenilworth C come out of the pack into a clear second place in the 2nd Division and this run, combined with Leamington A losing their penultimate game of the season has opened up a slim possibility of the league title ......we just need to win our remaining 3 games of the season.

First up - Solihull B, who we had yet to play as their season started after Christmas. It all started smoothly, games looked very balanced, Keatan playing a symmetrical English as black, Bernard was facing a lot of pawn advances but looked ok to me, I had negotiated the opening with an edge as black and Ben looked like he had the edge on Board 4. 

Bernard then took advantage of his overstretched opponent and won a couple of pawns, Keatan was taking the initiative (although it had eaten into his time) and Ben looked threatening although still equal. Great, I thought, as my edge had fizzled out due to some smart play by my opponent. This left me thinking a draw would be enough and indeed my opponent offered me one which I declined as I wanted to see how the games played out and my position contained no real risks.

But Bernard then got on the receiving end of a series of checks by the opposing Queen that he could not escape - 1/2 point. Ben contrived to lose a pawn heading into the end game but solidly stopped his opponent progressing and gained another 1/2 point. Keatan's game looked in a good place but could he win with the time remaining on his clock? Suddenly my game might need to be won....

I tried to create some pressure in a Queen and Bishop vs Queen and Bishop (same colour) endgame with plenty of pawns on the board - computer says draw (obviously) but I find playing computer moves to be difficult and hoped this was the case for my opponent too. Indeed he abandoned his King's defence to snaffle a pawn and suddenly I spotted a mating trap. With 1 minute each left on the clock, I confidently moved thinking it was in the bag but he simply sidestepped the issue (note to self - the opponent does not have to take pieces when they are offer!) and I was left floundering with very little time and could feel the pressure getting to me........

Fortunately for me, Keatan (not for the first time this season) came to the rescue - I did not see how but he secured the much needed win, leaving me to immdiately take the easy perpetual I had and secure the draw needed for the overall win....phew. Nerves a bit frayed to be honest, but our hopes are still alive (with our 3rd 2.5-1.5 victory in a row). One more win (against Solihull B again) would leave a winner takes all title decider against Leamington A.....

PS - Only when I got home did I find out I had a (pretty simple) win at the end as my nerves over time got the better of me. At least I could reconcile this as the team win was secured so I was happy with my decision to take the half point and it was probably a fair result.

No comments:

Post a Comment