Tuesday 19 March 2024

Top of the League (Temporarily) - Part 6 (the finale)

 Not much to this post, other than I want to put this here for one last time:


If we all agree to end the season now, then the most deserving team will win the league. I should also point to the extremely surprising fact we managed to have a +7 match results difference, with only +6 game points, which can't have happened many time before.

I don't wish to dwell too much on our last couple of games (a loss to Banbury and then a victory over Shirley), as my teammates decided to cram a whole season's worth of captaincy stress into the last two games; with late arrivals, blundered pieces, and a refusal to take pieces when our opponents blundered them. Therefore, I thought I would focus more on overall achievements for the season.

My task was definitely made easier by having 3 players who managed to play every game in the season, with the following results:

  • Andy P - 6/14
  • Myself - 7.5/14
  • Mike - 9/14

Andrew definitely gets the excuse of having by far the hardest competition, but Mike will clearly have to be awarded our MVP trophy. Board 4 is much more complicated, with 6 different players (Paul B, Andy B, Keatan, Bernard, Ben and Harry) having made appearances, with all scoring points along the way. Once you add up the totals across all those players, you end up with:

  • Motley collection - 8.5/14
In many ways, I feel this is a good metaphor for my life. I thought I had quite a good season, but in fact I am just a little bit worse than a random selection of people from the club.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! In turn being one-sixth of the "Motley collection" is a pretty good metaphor for my life, or at least my chess career!

    ReplyDelete