Monday 5 December 2016

Film '16

Hard on the heels of my strange discovery that a KCC player can be found amongst the exquisite wood carvings of Leon Cathedral (see post of Aug 23, 2016), comes overwhelming evidence that our illustrious membership has now invaded the altogether more modern world of moving pictures.

If you don't believe me, then just take a look at the current list of the top grossing films at UK cinema box offices. (Here for example.)  There in position number 10, you'll find a film called "Paterson", which is obviously the bio-pic of our very own Andrew Paterson - it must be about him, as no-one else spells their name that way! The title role is apparently played by Adam Driver, who I have to admit I've never heard of. I only hope he has done our man justice.

And that is far from the end of the matter. One place lower at No 11, is "The Accountant", which I guess is a fly on the wall documentary following the thrilling, day to day work of our leading non-player, Bernard Rogers. I imagine the scenes where he considers whether a client's employee incentive scheme qualifies for Section 23 relief are especially enthralling. Though I gather that most of the screen-time is taken up by "business" lunches.

Then cast your eye a bit higher up the list to the film at No 7 - the intriguingly titled "Doctor Strange". Fear of libel laws prevents me going into too many details, but could it be that the film's release and the recent retirement from the medical profession of our own Doctor Nick are not entirely unconnected?!

Balderdash, I hear you say. These films are nothing to do with KCC members, however appropriate the titles are. And I have to concede, you may be right. Maybe it's all a mere whimsical flight of fancy on my part. But I defy any of you who have seen pictures of him wearing his Father Christmas costume back to front at the Coventry Chess Academy Xmas party, to tell me that the film at Number 4 in the list, "Bad Santa 2", isn't based on our very own Roy Watson! Good grief, he even comes from somewhere up near the North Pole.

So this is spooky - 4 of the top films of the moment have a strange resonance with our members. I reckon this is way beyond any statistical likelihood, and that if we dig a little deeper, we'll find that each of us has a film title alter ego somewhere. Leaving aside the gratuitously insulting ("The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" anyone?) as being too obvious, I instantly thought of the 2003 comedy "Bruce Almighty" and the 1986 Brat Pack comedy "Pretty in Pink" to further prove my point. And going back even further, how about the classic musical, "The King and I"?

But strangely, I haven't been able to find a suitable film for myself. I would ask for suggestions, but I'm not sure I'd like the results. Anyway, time for me to open a bag of popcorn, settle down in a comfy chair, and watch a TV re-run of "The Stud". Hang on a moment - there is a film title for me after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment