Wednesday 13 March 2019

Post Match gentle let down!

Re my previous blogg, the chant 'Come On Ken D' cut no ice - or anything else for that matter - with Stratford C. Ice being the operative word. This pre-match warm up blogg was clearly out-weighed by the freezing room we played in. That's the ONLY reason I can think of why such a stellar team did not win the match.

Board one saw me in my first encounter with the youthful and up and coming Ben Larkin - also one of Paul's pupils. Ben played  a line with which he was very familiar but, and the foible of many a youngster, he played very fast. He exchanged both my bishops for his knights - but in a closed position. Shuffle, exchange, shuffle, push, exchange, shuffle, push, exchange, push. Two rooks and five each. I offered a draw - which I am pretty sure it was - and Ben declined, only to go on to blunder and lose the game.

Board three saw a move four knight 'sacrifice' by Steve. Some, unkind people, might describe it as an uncompensated blunder. But I think I saw the psychological depths of the 'sac' - Steve likes to play from behind. Which he achieved in spades! Losing a further pawn and eventually facing - with his rook and one - five connected passed pawns, rook and knight, Steve was helped by his opponent seeing a massive 'ghost' - the no-chance promotion of Steve's h-pawn - and concentrated all his efforts into its capture (just in case) which he eventually did. In one of his final moves Steve picked up his rook, placed in on g2 - but did not let go before wisely placing it between g2 and g1! Steve lost.

Board two had Chris Aldridge facing Adrian Grimes. Not quite a thriller but it all looked pretty evens to me when Steve and I had to leave. But obviously not as equal as I thought. To quote George Orwell, ' some positions are more equal than others'. It seems Chris was on the wrong side of equality and went down to a loss.

Final result 2-1 to Stratford.

All I can say is 'COME ON KENILWORTH D' for our next and last match of the season,  away against Daventry!

No comments:

Post a Comment