Friday 6 September 2024

An organisational paradox

Arriving in Banbury at around 7.15 last night, I was confronted by a scene that I never thought I would witness in these parts. The club was open, the lights were on, all the boards were set up, and indeed 7 of the match participants were already assembled. Having done a doubletake and realised that this was indeed reality, the too-good-to-be-true principle kicked in. Firstly, I realised that I had forgotten my glasses. The vagaries of age mean that I now need one pair for driving and one for closer work. Until last year my sight meant that my driving glasses were the ones I played chess with, but thanks to a change of prescription they no longer are. I resigned myself to a night of squinting somewhat hopefully at the pieces. (Given what happened, one theory I am considering is whether looking at the chessmen too much is where I have hitherto been going wrong.) Secondly, which did not seem like so much of an issue in the beginning but would become more of one later, Paul Rowan was missing from the Banbury team. 

 We got underway promptly, with Dylan who was making his debut on Board 4 lacking an opponent. Dylan had a great season last year and we are looking forward to him playing a part as one of our key reserves in this campaign. Dylan waited patiently, while Mal (who I was playing on Board 3, for our 5th game in two seasons) made increasingly frantic, unanswered calls to Paul. Eventually we agreed that Banbury could make a substitution. Sadly this is where home advantage can tell, as Banbury had the equally strong Arran Grundy in the house, who stepped in. Obviously Paul then turned up a few minutes later, but that's by the by. At the board, my own game started really well. I got strong initiative out of the opening, and gave Mal the unpalatable choice between allowing a super strong attack or tripling his pawns. He went for the tripled pawns, but I felt at this point that I was strategically won. I set about applying some of the lessons I have picked up from Paul Lam (with huge thanks!) over the summer, in terms of keeping the position completely under control and gradually turning the screw. 

  However, when I surveyed the other games, things were looking less promising. Gary Jackson seemed to be edging a complicated game against Paul on Board 1. Nathan Manley appeared to have tied Dhairya completely in knots, on 2, with Dhairya's pieces mainly rearranged on the back-rank. On Board 4 Arran had got the better of the opening and looked like he had a monster pawn break on the queenside, and the exchange. 

 Dylan played really well to hold Arran at bay for a while, but the end looked inevitable, and the Banbury supersub had put them 1-0 up. Dhairya lost moments later. Not his best evening, but Nathan is a strong player and we know what Dhairya can do, so doubtless a good learning experience. So many times last season, we were bailed out by our juniors (especially Dhairya and Keatan), but now myself and Paul had to do the job. 

 Mine was the much easier task. My position was just a joy, to the point that I wondered if this, along with the (briefly) seemless start to the evening was all but a dream. I brought myself back to reality by missing my best move as our clocks ran down, but it made no difference. I broke through with my rooks, and Mal resigned when I was one move from mate. I always have great games with Mal, but this was my best effort for quite sometime. Having thrown away six months of rating gains during one weekend at the British, I can start rebuilding once again!

 Paul battled valiantly against Gary. It was very complicated and I did not see all the detail, but Gary ultimately brough home the point. So a 1-3 loss on the road, but we were up against a strong team, who certainly deserved their win on the night. 

 We now go on to the C v D match up next week. One thing is for sure. The chess season is back! We will have plenty more opportunities in the weeks and months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment