Wednesday 4 September 2024

There's Something Happening Here, But What it is Ain't Exactly Clear....

Though at least there's not "A man with a gun over there, Telling me I got to beware."


You couldn't tell from the traditional pre-match photo of the Kenilworth A v Kenilworth B season-opener that witchcraft and sorcery were in the air, but Monday evening's subsequent events proved conclusively that strange forces were at work.

Kenilworth A (left; front to back) - Mark Page, Billy Fellowes, Andrew Paterson, Jude Shearsby v Kenilworth B (right, front to back) - Bernard Charnley, Joshua Pink, Ketan Patel, Bruce Baer

Now we always like these matches to be competitive, so both teams were at as full strength as possible on the night, and it wouldn't be ridiculous that the ratings for each board would have pointed to a score of about 3-1 to the A team - when everyone could have gone home happy, feeling God was in his heaven and all was well with the world. The one relatively risky board for the A team looked to be Board 2, where Andrew had to face up to a still rapidly improving Keatan, who is full of ambition and thirsting for blood every time he sits down at the board.

The match was set up almost perfectly as a contest between Youth and Experience, except that there was also a Dinosaurs Board where Bernard and I faced each other. I was confident, because we had more Youth than the B team but ......... dear, oh dear!

The B team struck immediately in decisive fashion, where Keatan - in line with my very worst fears - simply demolished Andrew with a very deep piece of opening prep. One automatic move from Andrew and he was in a desperate, virtually losing position, after no time at all. He shouldn't feel too bad as plenty of strong players - GMs even - have walked into the same position and gone down to defeat. It really is a great line for White, so naturally I'm not going to reveal it!

Still, this was surely just a minor set-back, as Jude was already giving Bruce's kingside a real pounding, but a timely exchange sac (or was it just lost, I don't know?!) that yielded bishop and pawn for the rook, was enough to turn the tables, and in the final position Black had the luxury of a perpetual attack on a White rook, or playing on. With only 2 minutes against Jude's 50, Bruce erred on the side of caution, and took the draw.

Which meant the pressure was on, as Billy and I both had to win to secure the match victory. Billy initially seemed to be better against one of Joshua's regular, unorthodox openings, that he is just about the only person in the world to play. Given he scored 1/5 when using it at a recent British Rapidplay, it seems fair to say its not an entirely solid Black defence! But, of course, even against someone of Billy's monstrous strength, Joshua eventually got in a counter blow by rushing his d pawn down the board and getting a rook to the seventh rank. Billy had to be careful and to make matters worse, he was on the increment from a very early stage of the game (why?? - it was only Joshua!!). Somehow he navigated his way to a totally drawn position of rook and 1 pawn each. Joshua's pawn had whizzed down to a2, but Billy's rook was perfectly placed to sac itself when his own advanced g pawn would in turn force Black to give his rook up. But then - horror of horrors. Completely inexplicably, Billy played an instantly losing move when he had a very simple drawing sequence. If even I saw it while still in play on my own board it must have been simple. Joshua could scarcely believe his luck and proved quite quickly that he knew how to win with queen against g pawn.

So that was that, the match was gone and my game against Bernard was irrelevant. Except to the pair of us. The position was fairly level for the most part, though I missed a really good pawn sac in the middle game which would have put me right in the driver's seat. We swapped off a lot of pieces and were left with queen and knight each. My only hope was that Bernard had an isolated g pawn in front of a rather naked king, but against that his pawn structure was  better than mine, and his knight was threatening to get quite jumpy against my own king. I was miles behind on the clock, but Bernard started thinking (always a mistake!) and soon I had won the g pawn and followed up by winning another on the queenside, leaving me with h, g and a pawns against a solitary a pawn. The knights were exchanged and I thought my connected passers would just waltz down the board and win the game. But I was kidding myself, as I soon pushed the wrong pawn and gave Bernard a perpetual check. Rather than accept that, though, and make a king move and take the draw, I just sat in my chair and let my time run down until I suddenly saw I had one second on the clock. This proved insufficient time to make a move and press the clock, and so I managed to lose despite being 2 pawns up. Criminal and tragic at the same time.

Which meant that the final score was Kenilworth B 3.5 - Kenilworth A 0.5. I didn't see that coming!

Well played the B team - and especially Keatan for the game of the night - but it did require a whiff of brimstone and magic dust in the air to produce such an unnatural match result. Let's hope normal service can be resumed as soon as possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment