Tuesday 24 September 2024

Incoming Storm

 Following a day in which the rain lashed down on Kenilworth, we gathered in the glooming for our match against Shirley B. It is fair to say that this was not an evening where I can honestly declare that it proved to be darkest just before the dawn, so I will keep this match report brief.

On Board 4, Bernard Rogers seemed to have a devastating early kingside attack against Gordon Christie. I wasn't exactly analysing it, but I assumed we were on for a quick point. To his credit, Gordon defended with a lot of skill and somehow Bernard's attack blew itself out, after which Gordon was completely won. So 0-1.

Incredibly, on Board 2 a similar pattern appeared to play out in Rhys's game against Keith Ingram. I suspect this one was always a bit more double-edged, but both players had contributed to a very violent heavy piece position. Ultimately Keith prevailed to make it 0-2.

On Board 3, I had another in a series of very interesting games with Dave Thomas. I didn't get the opening right and was down a pawn, but somehow managed to get a lot of play, and eventually ended up in an endgame a pawn up which I assumed (as did Dave) would be a win. The reality was that it was very difficult. One of those positions where if Dave just sat (which he did) there were real risks that me committing might actually give Dave the win. Having turned down an earlier draw, following a repetition I just couldn't find a way through, so split the point with a few minutes left on my clock. I suspect a GM would have won it, but when we analysed with others in the bar afterwards, it still wasn't obvious. Given I had been behind out of the gate, it was certainly a half point I would have been much happier with earlier in the proceedings.  

Ultimately, it made no difference. Paul and Darren Whitmore played a really good game that went to the wire, but unfortunately for us, Darren just edged it to wrap up a comprehensive win for Shirley.

As I said to Paul afterwards, the margins in chess are always very fine. There wasn't much between the teams on paper and on another night we might have done better. Still all credit to Shirley - they deserved their victory and a few of us had a nice drink and a catch up in the bar afterwards.

For Kenilworth, we've had a somewhat disappointing start to the season, but these things happen. There are plenty of matches still to play. I have no doubt that brighter days are ahead!




No comments:

Post a Comment