Thursday 1 November 2018

Nick of Time

Phew! Last night's crazy, topsy-turvy match against Solihull B ended in a dramatic 2.5-1.5 victory for the A team, but only one man was able to walk away from The Blossomfield Club with his head held high. Step forward our peripatetic hero, Joshua Pink. What a glorious day that was when he walked back into KCC to become our commuting saviour. And how amazing that a man who nominally lives in Manchester can be a more regular player for us than most of those who live in Kenilworth!

He cut it rather fine last night, having been delayed on his return from London by the inevitable train problems. The clock ticked on to past 8.00 pm when he finally made his dramatic entry  - well, what else would you expect from a noted amateur thespian? But thank goodness he made it in the nick of time - which gives me an excellent excuse to present a great song by the absolutely magnificent Bonnie Raitt.



For most of the game he seemed to be about to crash through with an attack down the a file against Ray Carpenter's queenside casted king, but Ray defended cleverly and when I took my last look at the position, I feared any hopes of victory were gone. But in trying to force a draw, Ray apparently sacrificed a rook, only to discover it wasn't perpetual check after all.

This was a massive boost, as we were reeling from the sad ending of the Board 4 encounter, where Bernard C had played an exemplary game with Black against Ian Brodie, winning a pawn, then a second, then an exchange before discovering that his remaining pieces were all being dominated by White's small, but perfectly co-ordinated army. Bernard returned the exchange, but to no avail, as this was one game that did end in perpetual. So a point I had mentally chalked up for most of the evening, ended up as just a draw.

Another draw was then concluded on Board 2 where Andrew P's attempt to hang on to the c4 pawn ultimately failed and left him in a slightly dubious position. At one point in the late opening/early middle-game he still had every piece still on  the back rank, but found it necessary to play the move f6. You know something is not quite right when that happens! Somehow, though, he then marshalled his forces rather cleverly to not only avoid disaster, but to establish a slight edge thanks to two superbly centralised knights. But it wasn't enough to gain any decisive advantage and a rook ending was eventually agreed drawn.

Which left me to wrap up the match on Board 1 against Neil Clarke. Which I did, but not in a way which reflects any credit on me whatsoever. After an offbeat French Defence, Neil enterprisingly sacrificed a pawn for the two bishops and some initiative, and steadfastly refused to win back the pawn in favour of keeping the bishops.  However, I gradually unravelled, took over the only open file and blotted the bishops out with my 3-1 queenside majority Or at least that was what I thought was happening, but as both clocks ticked under 5 minutes I snatched a second pawn (leaving me with 3 connected passers!) but crucially gave Black the opportunity to free his pieces which he did to marvellous effect as I completely collapsed. A piece fell off (in my shock I failed to see I could have given up my queen for a rook and minor piece instead) and I must have been totally lost. But Neil possibly misjudged how much time he had left and took a perpetual check (yes another one!) when in what must have been a completely winning position.

So a very close shave, and a less than convincing performance. Memo to self - and rest of team - buck your ideas up!

1 comment: