Tuesday 20 November 2018

Will Wills a Win

Ken B v Rugby B was tonight's entertainment and it was indeed full of thrills and spills. The pre-match tension was heightened by the last minute finalising of the team. Captain, Roy, was confused by the new 'improvement' to his email front page and missed an email from Stuart - but by 5.00 the team was clear - Stuart, me, William and Jude.

I did not follow much of Stuart's game but he seemed to be doing slightly better out of the opening. He then explained how after the appearance of a ghost on his board he felt he needed to defend a pawn - at which he was very successful. But the downside of this - in fact needless manoeuvre- was that Black's knight forked Stuart's King and Queen! Game over. 1-0 to F. Fabik (who I think is a new kid on Rugby's block).

Match score 0 - 1.

A classic Samisch was my offering. My opponent - M Wilson - played very quickly but still the result was that my Kingside attack was slower than his Queenside attack despite the sac of a pawn and I had serious doubts about the way the game would proceed. My only explanation  for what happened next was a case of excitement clouding thinking - even though his confidence was probably well-founded. In an attempt to execute the coup de grace he placed his rook en prise for nothing and he instantly resigned. Shame really and I was very fortunate.

Match score 1 - 1.

Next was Jude playing his signature London System on bottom board against M. Harding and came out of the opening much the better - in command of a half-open h-file (and I think a couple of pawns up). A routine 0-0-0 was followed by a Rook and Queen on the now fully open h-file and following the thematic f3 move and a wide open position, Jude churned out yet another clinical win.

Match score 2 - 1.

So we needed William on board three to draw for a match win. But it was not promising. Having gained a clear advantage from the opening [1.c4 e5, 2.Nc3 Nf3, 3.g3 Bc5 - does this have a name?] in the form of wrecking his opponent's pawn structure. And I thought Will was going to win right out of the opening. But next time I looked Will was two pawns down. In an endgame with both having  two rooks and a knight Will showed great character, grit and determination and imposed his will on the game. Playing far above his grading he conceived a lovely manoeuvre which pacified the rook of his opponent (N Malka) and Will had a far better placed King. He won back one of his pawns and was offered a draw.

Final match score 2.5 - 1.5

Postscript 1

Joshua has shown me how to enter a game into a match report. When I receive Jude's scoresheet, I will give it a go.

Postscript 2

After looking at my game with Paul, I was in fact doing alright when Black blundered - so I was not lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment